Thursday, February 9, 2012

Psalm 19


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14 (NLT)

I've had the words to this song going 'round & 'round in my head the last few weeks, for more than a few reasons, I suppose. I've been singing to Caleb when trying to get him to sleep and this is one of my favorite standbys. I've been trying to teach the boys Scripture through song. I've been praying these words in trying to purify my words & thoughts. This last part is what has me coming back everytime, though and wow, is it convicting.

I do pretty well with my words. Well, for the most part. Except for those days when the kids get me goin' by not listening, doing things they know they're not supposed to do, and just pushing my buttons in general. What? That's everyday? Crap. OK, so maybe my words aren't so hot. Honestly, though, other than raising my voice to get three boys to listen, I might be okay (not saying this is ideal, just trying to be honest about where I am). I try to not say things I haven't thought through because words.can.hurt. The part that gets me here, though, is that my thoughts get the best of me. "The meditations of my heart" can be full of anger, judgment, and laziness. Oh how I long to make them pure & pleasing to Him. What would be better if my words & thoughts were all pleasing to God? My friendships? My mothering? My marriage?  So, so much more...

I've got work to do. How 'bout you?

No comments: